Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Time for Reflection

If you are not aware, today is my birthday. I am now 26 years old. To some this may not be exciting because it is so much more closer to 30. But for me, today has been a time for reflection - to look back and to look ahead.

Looking Back
First, I reminisced to the day I graduated from college. I felt so carefree yet so uncertain about my future and myself. Would I find a job teaching? How will I repay my loans? Where will I live? There was just so much to take in. Then, I thought of my relationship with, now, my husband whom had become my best friend. It was a difficult time in my life when I met him. And as I thought about that time, I am grateful that he was there to be the friend that I needed.  Next, I thought of my first teaching job, which thankfully I still have. I moved away from home to a new place, realized that I was officially on my own, and spend many hours before and after school writing lesson plans and wondering if I was going to make a difference. And last, but not least, the day I was married to my best friend. My mind was drawn to the joy and excitement that filled our hearts as we knelt across the alter. We were in love.

All in all looking back helped me see how much I changed. My character was woven by righteous choices and strengthened through adversity.

Looking Ahead 
I contemplated the infamous question: Where will I be in five years? At first, I thought, I do not know. It seems so far away, but then looking back, one year has gone by so quickly, so it is not adequate to say that  five years is far away. Nevertheless, where will I be? Despite as much as I would like to know, I cannot be certain where I will be in five years. But, there are a few things that I can shoot for - goals and aspirations: going to graduate school, raising a family, traveling, running a marathon (or two), and simply just being happy :)

By allowing myself to look ahead, I can re-evaluate myself (what changes do I need to make) so that I can become a better wife, friend, daughter, and sister.

Do you take the time to reflect on your birthday? I hope that you do. If not, you can start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment