Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Listen to Yourself!

I made a mistake but a lesson well learned - listen to your body.
After running the Dayton Air Force 1/2 Marathon, my left knee became sore. I gave it a few days to rest, but then quickly started back up running, walking, biking, and weight lifting. I needed an escape from the stresses of teaching and difficult situations. I continued to experience pain but ignored it and kept going. I soon realized that I was beginning to feel pain in my metatarsal bones. I thought that maybe I just tied my shoes too tight or needed new shoes.

However, yesterday, as I was going up and down the stairs at school, I could not bear it anymore. My foot and knee were in immense pain. (Of course, I do not believe in elevators!) I called the doctor and was able to be offically diagnosed. I have a metatarsal stress fracture and runner's knee.

I keep asking myself, "Why did I not listen to my body?" I felt pain, but thought of excuses for the pain. Now, I am in more pain and injury than I would have been, if I would have just listened. Sometimes, I forget that it is alright to rest and take care of myself. I am amazed and grateful that our bodies know more about us than we think. This life is truly not sprint but a marathon - maybe an ultra-marathon at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment